Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pregnant on Aisle 4!

Ok, what is it about buying a pregnancy test that makes you feel so wrong? Really! I don't get it. I'm a responsible adult - most of the time. I'm allowed to get pregnant. What is it about that pesky little pink box that screams - "This girl had sex! She might be knocked up!" Ugh. Why is it so uncomfortable? Well, I certainly learned my lesson this time. This time around, I decided to purchase my tests at the grocery store. Why? Well, because the freaking things are expensive and I had a coupon for my local Ralph's. I should have just paid the extra $10 to save myself the humiliation. Instead of waiting in the line with the rest of my groceries, I decided to play it safe and use the self-check out. I didn't want to risk being seen at our neighborhood store by anyone I might know. I might as well have had a king-sized bottle of KY Jelly in my cart. I cruised up to the self-check, quickly started to scan my items and place them in the bag. I was safe. Or so I thought. I handed my coupon to the woman who oversees the self check stations. Here's where it started to go downhill. "Oh, honey," she says, "You didn't spend $25 to get the $10 savings." Me: "Oh, yes, actually, I spent $30." Her: "There's no way. You only bought 3 items." Me (getting annoyed): "Yes, and they totaled $30." Her: "Well, what did you buy that was so expensive." Me: "I bought freaking pregnancy tests lady!" You could have heard a pin-drop. Bring on the uncomfortable silence. It should have been the end of it. She should have just scanned the coupon and sent me on my way...but here's where I learned that you should always buy "sensitive" items from the pharmacy window. I think they've actually gone through training so as to never adversely react to anything "strange" you may have purchased. Clearly the Ralph's clerk missed the training. Her: "Really, you think you might be pregnant?" In my head I thought- did she really just go there? Oh, she was just getting warmed up. "How old are you? You look 17! Would this be your first baby?" Me: "Actually, this would be my 3rd." And here's where the shit really hit the fan. "OMG! 3! Are you sure!? I mean 3 is a lot of work." And now I'm getting unsolicited parenting advice from the self-checkout clerk - which, I might add, would be alright if I had asked for her opinion. But I didn't. My attempt to sneak in and out of my local Ralph's with pregnancy tests had completely failed. Finally she scanned my coupon and I was on my way. But I still see her every Monday when I do my grocery shopping and she gives me the "is she/isn't she?" look. I swore I wouldn't have a third baby shower but I have a feeling this lady might offer to throw me one. Lesson learned. Since this is our last baby, I will (hopefully) never have to buy pregnancy tests again but you better believe that any other "sensitive" purchases are going straight to the non-judging pharmacist.

3 comments:

  1. Omg! Not cool, self-checkout chick. Not cool.

    But more importantly, congrats!!!

    I know you guys may be done after three, but if you ever need to buy a preggo test again, you must do so at the dollar store. Seriously, best discovery ever. (I've also read that their tests are more sensitive than the pricey ones. They worked for me twice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic! Can you even imagine if that woman developed peoples' film at the photo counter?

    ReplyDelete